Cryptex Locker is a new type of ransomware that protects your files with military-grade encryption. It prevents you from accessing the data until you pay for the decryption key. We will explore 6 benefits to using Cryptex Locker, and why it’s important to protect yourself against ransomware attacks.
1. Saves time and money during recovery – Cryptex Locker uses a non-restoring encryption method. This means your computer will stay encrypted until you pay for the decryption key, so there’s no need to waste valuable time and resources restoring files from a backup.
2. Cryptex Locker doesn’t indiscriminately encrypt all your files – The latest versions of Cryptex Locker will only encrypt certain file types. This allows you to work with the unaffected documents, images and other media while the ransomware is busy encrypting your most important files.
3. More secure encryption – Cryptex Locker uses a combination of RSA-2048 and AES-1024, one of the most secure encryption methods around. Just to put this into perspective, RSA-2048 is about 100,000 times more difficult to crack than your typical DES or Triple DES encryption. So rest easy knowing your data will remain safe during a Cryptex Locker infection.
4. Doesn’t waste time on formatting – A ransomware attack typically involves overwriting the Master Boot Record (MBR) and/or Data DiskÃ’Ã¡’Ãœs partition table. This renders your computer unbootable, and forces you to either restore from a backup or pay up for the decryption key. Fortunately, Cryptex Locker doesn’t bother with formatting the MBR and partition table, which means you can boot into a safe environment and bypass the ransomware.
5. Doesn’t damage your files – Cryptex Locker doesn’t try to delete or damage any of your files during an attack, but instead leaves them as is. This is important since it means you won’t need to waste time restoring from a backup or using file repair tools after a Cryptex Locker infection.
6. No middle-man – When CryptoLocker first appeared in late 2013, it was a ransomware-as-a-service program, a popular method of distributing malware among cybercriminals today. But with Cryptex Locker, there’s no middle man involved because the developer is the only one who has access to your stolen data.
Conclusion: Cryptex Locker is a relatively new ransomware variant, and it’s so secure and non-destructive that we recommend you protect yourself against it by leveraging our Webroot endpoint security products. You can read more about this ransomware here .